Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Proverbs 31: A Wife Who Loves the LORD is a Treasure



"Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised." Proverbs 31:30

Well friends, we've made it to the end of the month and our last proverb. I really was not sure what I would talk about having only read the chapter prior to writing. I have approached this with as much care as I was able. I may have been offensive at times, but I hope above all I was honest to myself and my beliefs. I hope I have encouraged you, as I know being able to write freely has encouraged me.

I knew after reading the above verse, whom this edition would be inspired by. So without further adieu, let's get into it.

I first met my wife, Juliet, in summer 2006 on a mission trip to Mexico. I was added to the list of people going rather late, as I believe someone had backed out last minute. I went as a sponsor of sorts since I was attending college at the time. I readied for the trip and jokingly told my buddy Nick that I would meet a beautiful Mexican gal while there. That's the only time I've been prophetic.

Meanwhile, in Mexico, Juliet Otero was happily working as a translator for mission teams coming to Rio Bravo through Manos Juntas Mexico. Her father, Julian Otero (awesome guy) was a manager or coordinator there (the guy in charge basically-not sure of title). The week our team was going, was her vacation. At the last minute, she had been asked to come help translate for our team due to a need for more translators. She had agreed, not knowing that decision would change her life.

I don't recall all of the details of our first day on the worksite, but I do recall noticing her immediately, and probably creepily watching her work (hey it worked out for good so hang in there). Keith Garrison, one of the adults on the trip, remembers seeing how I looked at her and says he knew that we would get married. I'm not sure I knew at that moment, but she did seem special.

Maybe because of the way he saw me look at her, it was suggested I spend day two playing guitar and entertaining the team. This may also have been due to my lack of manual labor skills. Either way, I "wooed" her with music the next couple days.

On the final day at the worksite, we exchanged email addresses, expecting just to possibly chat a bit online. As soon as I got home, I emailed her, asking if she remembered me and just saying hi.

From what she says, this threw her for a loop as she didn't expect me to contact her...and so the relationship began after a few months of chatting, and me sending videos to her of my singing.

To say that everything aligned just right the day we met would be an understatement. And here is where I will tie it back to the proverb above. God knew how I was constantly feeling like I needed to date someone. He knew that I had finally said I was going to stop looking. He probably heard me brag that I would meet a Mexican girl because I like to think He has a sense of humor. He knew Juliet would show up that week even though she was not scheduled, and He knew I would get to join the trip the last minute. The reason I believe this is because we are both people of strong faith in God. I would have expected (based on stereotyping that I shouldn't do) that she would have been a Catholic, but she was Methodist, like me. Rather than struggling over religious issues, we basically believed the same.

The Bible is very emphatic that if we get married, we are to marry other believers. Now I know many out there may be yoked with non-belivers, and if God has placed that in your life, your job as the Christian in the relationship is to continue to be an example unto them. The greatest joy of our marriage though is knowing we share faith. We have long conversations. We sometimes disagree, but most often, we are of same mind.

And being married to a woman who is of same mind spiritually is the connection God intended. It's right there in the Bible numerous times, and Paul spoke on this as well. We know in our hearts that our marriage will stay strong, no matter the trial, because we are centered on God at the heart.

Do we sometimes fight? Yes. Are we always leading the best Christian lives? No. But I am married to a woman who fears the LORD. And as I've said before,  fearing the LORD is not being afraid, but showing proper respect. We both respect God and strive to keep Him first in our marriage.

The proverb says that the woman who feareth the LORD shall be praised, and I know I certainly praise God everyday for arranging our circumstances the way they turned out. I am thankful for her everyday, whether I always show it or not. She is constantly on my mind even when she isn't my current thought. We are one in holy matrimony, the way it was intended. There is no better feeling than knowing that your marriage pleases the LORD.

Our biggest struggle lately is learning to pray together. I have no doubt we would grow much stronger in our faith, but I am still timid in this regard (and praying out loud in general). The times we have prayed, it is easy to see that she has the faith like a child that Jesus was speaking about. She respects the LORD, but knows He is her friend as well. He knows her heart and what her passions are.

If you notice in a recent post I made about where you will be in 100 years, she wrote something like "that's a niiiiice Jesus." It may seem silly at first, but knowing that she speaks like that when her pure love for something is coming through, makes it a very special comment. It warms my heart.

I don't know if God will have animals for her to care for someday in Heaven, but I know He knows that she gets a special feeling around animals.

I am truly blessed to be in a spiritual marriage. I can understand cynicism in marriage these days with the high divorce rate, but I truly believe that when both individuals are truly putting God first, not just going through the motions, that He will bless the marriage and it will endure.

You probably are thinking, "talk to me in 20 years if you're still together," and of course based on society today that's a legitimate statement. But it is at its heart a statement of unbelief. Marriage was created by God. When your marriage is spiritually sound, God is with you.

If you are the only believer in a two person marriage, pray that God would move the heart of your spouse. You've gotten the first part right by committing to marriage and not just living together, but for it to be truly blessed, you need to be an example to your spouse. Be accountable to God with each other. It is a wonderful place to be.

I hope none of you take offense at this because I am aware that marriages do fall apart everyday. I am a product of a broken home as well. But the Bible is very clear on the subject, so I speak not as an immature young man, but with scriptural backing.

I would just like to close by saying that I love you Juliet, and you are my best blessing from God.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*I hope this month has been a blessing to all of you as it has to me. I am writing simply as an outlet for my thoughts and feelings, and if others can benefit from them, God willing, so much the better.

I will have a mix of spiritual and normal posts from this point on, and actually already have a humorous one in mind. I welcome comments, but am really doing this as an uncensored outlet for myself. I hope as you come along with me on my journey, God will speak to you through my words. I pray God may use me to bless you whether in spiritual or practical posts.

Thank you for your support during this one-month commitment I made to the Lord. Your comments and support have kept me motivated!


Blessings my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment