Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Proverbs 15: Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

"A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance, but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken." Proverbs 15:13

This title is taken from the movie "The Life of Brian," a Monty Python movie that potentially borders on blasphemous-but is really a good social commentary as well. The final song features the main character-Brian-dying on a cross because he offered to pick up another man's cross and the man ran off (this is a comedy after all). The thief next to him begins to sing the song, and before we know it, there are numerous people in the midst of crucifixion singing "Always look on the bright side of life."

I think that is probably an extreme example, and clearly being Monty Python, not the best movie to draw advice from. Nevertheless, the song is catchy, and with a chorus like that it's hard not to whistle along. Lyrics notwithstanding, the music is catchy for sure. Clearly death is not the final word, and forgetting about your sin is only done through Christ wiping the slate clean.

Reference Point if you're curious and if YouTube keeps it posted

The proverb above indicates that a 'merry heart' makes a cheerful outlook on life (countenance). I have always considered myself a pretty optimistic guy. Even in the midst of my bad jobs of the past, I've tried to always look on the bright side. I'm not sure if this comes from an idealism that borders on non-logical, or if I just trust that God has control no matter what I do, but either way, I come off very happy most days. 

Around the beginning of college, I had a relationship that turned sour, and if there is anything that can ever change my countenance, it's women troubles. Thank goodness Juliet and I have each other figured out for the most part. I can't handle arguing with women. ;) . During that time, I vaguely remember visiting a psychologist to talk about my parent's divorce and girl troubles and such. At one point I was taking depression medicine, but I can never remember if it was doing anything or not. I still felt pretty happy with or without. Now I won't argue against the value sometimes of antidepressants in cases that warrant them. But, I think now that had I been a little better in my relationship with God at the time, He could have pulled me through whatever sadness was present. Dare I say, God is the great antidepressant. It's really true. 

Paul mentions a peace which transcends all understanding. Oddly enough, during the saddest part of my life thus far, when my grandma was passing away, I felt that peace. It was freshman year of college, I had maintained a 4.0 GPA and it was finals week. I drove to Kingfisher to be close since we knew she didn't have long. We each spoke with her individually and heard the final words she had to say to us, and then I had to go back to my 3 or 4 papers that were due that week. As I was typing in the office, I remember much of that circumstance coming through in my papers. I can't recall the exact topics, but I do remember putting up a good argument in favor of trusting God during those times. It was for a philosophy class that wanted nothing to do with God. He probably humored me grade-wise, but nonetheless, I never want it said that I am not willing to acknowledge my faith. I prayed that night after she passed, knowing full well she was home with the LORD. And then the peace which transcends all understanding guarded my heart, and I finished my papers and passed freshman year maintaining my 4.0 GPA. 

Now, I may also not be the best person to preach about this, as most of my life has been pretty happy. The divorce was hard, but I always felt like in the grand scheme of things, I handled it better than most. Much of that not being anything I could control. My grandfather's death was sad for me as well, but he had been struggling with Alzheimer's so long that we had really not had a chance to expand on our relationship much those past few years. The cool thing is that the relationship I had with him prior to that, was awesome. I used to go help him with yard work, and hear his great wisdom. I had those memories to comfort me during his passing. 

It won't be argued that I can be emotional. I will have times, like everyone else, where there seems to be no answer. It is these times where I call on Christ to give me peace. I feel bad for those with no one to comfort them. 

Juliet and I watched a Nicole Kidman movie called "The Rabbit Hole" on Netflix the other day. It just put me in a weird mood. Here was this mom whose son had been run over by a driver who had  just got his license. She is so completely out of sorts emotionally that she begins to cause trouble to all those who love her. When she runs into the kid or killed her son (accidentally) she is able to forgive him, but she still refuses to move past the event in general. 

Now I"m not a mother so I may be wrong in regards to how hard this would be. But didn't Christ say we would never be put through anything we couldn't handle. I wanted to scream at her "just call on God, he'll make it better over time!" but I refrained. That bugs me in movies. Clearly the thing the character's that are depressed are missing is God. You can almost see the God-shaped whole in their hearts. I realize that many Hollywood writers probably don't consider God an "out" in this sense, but you would think at some point somebody in the secular community would see the value in a personal relationship with the One who has power to heal. 

I've lost my train of thought here, but I would just encourage you to all try to be positive. Look at the glass half full. Do you have your health? Do you have family? Friends? Count your blessings, and thank God each day for a new day to glorify Him through your walk. 

And always remember the acronym for JOY. Jesus, others, yourself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment