Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Proverbs 28 and 29: Alms for the Soul

I included a special blog prior to this one on the 28th, so this is a combination from Proverbs 28 & 29. We are almost through our Proverb a day in January blogging. I am not sure what I will speak to after this, but I thank you all for joining me on this ride. If you have a spare moment, read "Betty Jean Birthday Blog."
------------------------------
"He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: but he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse." Proverbs 28:27

"The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it." Proverbs 29:7

Oh, how often I have turned my eyes from someone begging. I am not proud to admit this. It is difficult in our society to distinguish between the truly needy, and those looking for an easy buck. Perhaps as Christians we are called to harken unto the needs of all who seek help--whatever their intention.

I live in Austin where every street corner has someone with a cardboard sign. Some signs pull at your heart, some are hilarious, and others are repeats of what a previous sign said. Sometimes there are men and women, sometimes people disabled, sometimes puppies sitting with them.

I had never experienced seeing so many begging for help or money or work until moving to a larger city. Austin is not huge, but it is a step larger than Oklahoma's cities that I had visited--though perhaps it is confined to certain areas there.

How are we to handle this? If I always had cash on me, I would probably be handing out money left and right...but is it out of wanting to better circumstances..or perceived obligation?

I'm not sure if God is calling me to give a dollar to every person begging for money on the street, but I do know that He said in the Word, whatever you do unto the least of these you do unto me (paraphrase). That's all well and good, but again I don't always have anything to offer, and my human mind wants to try to judge the worthiness of their circumstances. It is common knowledge that here in Austin, many people beg on the street as a second job--and make good money off of people's misplaced generosity.

The times that I have had an extra dollar to give, I've felt helpful--even if it seems minor to me, maybe they really did need it. The best situation I had though was the opportunity to buy a meal for someone. This man had a sign that just said he was hungry--and coincidentally was on a corner near a Wendy's. Juliet and I drove through and got a combo meal with a coke (not knowing his preference it was a good bet coke was ok), and took it to him at the stoplight. His face lit up. This is what he needed. Sustenance. Not a dollar, not two dollars. Not a friendly smile. This particular man needed food.

I don't have an answer to how I should be handling the many homeless in Austin. I did think one hot day I could take them all water---but somehow backed out of that idea.

Let's sum it up then in a general way. If you find yourself in a position to help someone in need, and you have the means to do so...do it. I will work towards this as well. Don't worry about what will happen afterwards--whether they abuse your generosity or humbly accept it. Let God worry about that side of things. Share a good word...buy a meal..give a dollar...whatever you are led to do. Don't prejudge because of cynicism. Let the LORD lead you. If you have nothing to offer, pray that someone behind you will.

It is by grace we are saved through faith, not of works---but once saved, the desire to do good works is within us. We are still rewarded someday--but we should not rely on works for salvation. There is only salvation in Jesus Christ. Whether you find that statement offensive or not is not for me to worry about. You shall know the truth, and it will set you free. The cross was blood shed for our sins, but more than that, it was blood shed to satisfy God's justice...His wrath if I may boldly say. A fully Just and Holy God cannot be in presence with sin--we are all sinners--ergo Christ's sacrifice is the ONLY way you will spend eternity with your loving creator.

Where will you be in 100 years? We will all stand before God someday. If He asked you why you should be allowed into Heaven, what would you say? Would you spit out all of your good works and your accomplishments...or will you trust in Jesus' sacrifice to cover you, and allow you into the eternal presence of God? Christ said you are either for Him or against Him. Isn't it time to take a stand?

No comments:

Post a Comment