Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Proverbs 26: Footprints

"The great God that formed all things both rewardeth the fool, and rewardeth transgressors." Proverbs 26

I'll admit this one had me stumped for a minute. In general these proverbs have been one good and one bad per piece of advice..a fool is not wise, but a wise man is not foolish, and things of that nature. In this instance, at face value it appears to be two not so good statements. Why would God reward fools and transgressors?

I see this as pertaining to the fact that bad things happen to good people, just as good things happen to bad people. None of us can fully control our circumstances, and at times they can seem unfair. Many people will say, "but I only ever do good, why would God be punishing me?" not realizing of course that technically, there is no one fully good, save Christ Himself. From this perspective then, we can see that it is a good thing that God rewards the fools and transgressors because at one time or another we have all been the fool, and are all transgressors.

It's not that bad things happen to good people. Our perception is that we are inherently good, and therefore nothing bad should ever happen. The reality is that from the moment Adam and Eve took of the forbidden fruit, humans have been on a collision course with death. The original intention was not for man to die, but rather to share in everlasting existence with his Creator.

Therefore, it becomes a matter of perspective. If I believe I am a truly good person and always do good things, how will I handle it if something bad comes my way? I will likely freak out, and turn from God, blaming Him for bad things happening. It is not God creating turmoil, but rather it is a product of our sin nature. Man is inherently bad, and therefore, we bring about destruction.

Sure there are people WE perceive as bad people who seem to have everything. And there are good Christian people living on the edge of poverty. The only way God is involved in trials of the righteous is if it is brought about to better their circumstances.

Take JOB in the Old Testament. He was Bill Gates rich by today's standards and had a huge family. Everything was going great for him, but in the blink of an eye it was taken away. His "wise" friends began to ask him what evil he was hiding for him to have been struck with so much at once. Job maintained that he had no hidden sin and that he trusted God even through the troubles. When his body was stricken as well, he remained faithful. Sure he questioned a bit, who wouldn't, but he never doubted God's control in the situation. In the end, everything was restored to him twofold--and he was happier than he had ever been before.

Friends it is a matter of perception. Maybe you feel called to do something great for the kingdom. Do you think it will be all sunshine and roses? Or wouldn't it make more sense to test your resolve and have you be a defender of the faith through THICK and THIN.

It's not always easy. Adversity is God's way of eliminating our self righteousness and pride and reminding us that He has the ultimate plan for our lives. That doesn't make God mean, rather it is a way of refining us as people. Adversity sometimes brings out the best in people.

So don't worry about who has what. Don't worry if you perceive that they don't deserve it. I wish I could win the lottery. I see people win the lottery that don't do well with it. Is it my place to assume they are bad people and that God was not fair giving them the lottery? No, clearly God understands that I am not in a place where I could handle that responsibility.

We are never given too much to handle. Even in our most adverse circumstances, God is there. I am reminded of the footprints in the sand story. I'll paraphrase it here.


A man and God are walking along the beach throughout his life. He looks and sees two sets of footprints in the sand. The man notices; however, that at times, there is only one set of footprints. He realized those were the times he faced the most adversity in his life. When he gets to Heaven he asks God, "why was there only one set of footprints during the worst times of my life? Why did you not walk with me during those times?" God replied, "my son, during your most adverse times, it was then that I carried you. The footprints you see are my own." 

You see friends, God is always watching over his own. Even the foolish deserve His love, and perhaps their earthly rewards are leading them to understanding the greater truths behind God and His blessings. It is not for us to know. When we give a dollar to the homeless, it is not our place to wonder what he will spend it on. God will take care of his own. It is enough that we have given part of what we have.

As we come upon the hardest times in our lives, we must look always up to the One who has power to heal and make new. No matter how dark it may seem, there is light to be found in a relationship with God through Jesus.

My mom had a song awhile back, "when trouble's round, as far as I can see, I know my God, is watching over me, when the world conspires to get me down, He picks me up, and turns my world around."

When my mom's mom (Mema) passed away my freshman year at college, I wrote a song. In it, I reflect on always trusting God, no matter our circumstances. I will post the link to it here, and would encourage you all to listen. I'll try to post the link to my mom's song as well.

"During the good times you were beside me, during the bad I wasn't sure, but it was during those times, oh you carried me, now all I want to do is praise," (From "Trust" by Chris Byers).


Be blessed my friends :)



"Gracious God"- by LeeAnn Byers

No comments:

Post a Comment