Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Proverbs 3-4 : Trust and Honor God--Walk the Right Path

Apologies on the delayed blog. I had actually browsed through Proverbs 3 on January 2nd in an attempt to have a more cohesive blog---we'll see how that goes.


"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6


As if this one needed any elaboration. Christians are called to lean on God for all their understanding. When we were all children, we hopefully had some parental figure whom we knew we could always lean on and trust. Without that, our development would likely be skewed, and possibly lead to trust issues later in life. Sometimes it is more of an issue of FAITH--which really is where TRUST comes in. How is it that I can TRUST that somewhere out there is God, Creator of the Universe, and that He knows me? It's FAITH and it's TRUST. And it's not a half-trust. The verse says trust in the LORD with ALL thine heart. Not half of thine heart. What would be the point? Jesus sets it up so that you are either for Him or against Him, and the lukewarm He will spew from His mouth. Pretty strong words considering many of us today are hovering very near the lukewarm side of the fence. "Oh I believe in God, but I believe the Earth is billions of years old and i'm sure somewhere in there they line up.." If the Bible says God created the Earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th, wouldn't absolute trust with all thine heart lead most to take Him at his word...that's assuming you get past the stumbling block of the Bible being God inspired word. I have no doubt on that, but it brings up another interesting half-trust. "I believe in God, but the Bible was edited so many times, surely it can't all be true." Really? What is it in our nature that pushes us to question EVERY LITTLE THING? What happened to taking people at their word? What happened to taking God at his word? 


Prior to the enlightenment, it was commonly accepted among Christians that the earth was 6000 years old. Then along came man-made enlightenment and darwinian evolution and suddenly the Christians begin to question their own belief system. "Well, I don't want to alienate my friends who aren't Christian, so maybe I can just say that God created Evolution..." Ok, that's one method. Many Catholic and mainstream Protestant denominations have taken that route. But doesn't it seem that if CHristians continue to buckle on important issues, eventually our Bible might as well have been written without God inspiration. We will tweak it so much that even God is gonna have to say, "really guys? Really?" 


Lean not on thine own understanding--in ALL thy ways acknowledge Him...


I don't know about you, but as much as I sometimes think I have all the answers...I DON'T. And maybe I'm not the type to run around looking for human inspired evidence to prove my God exists. I'd much rather put my full TRUST in His WORD. Why not? I'm claiming to be CHristian right? And what is it that defines a Christian? 


I think it would have to at least start with the basic belief that Christ died for my sins, that there was no other way I could EVER be united with God--no matter how many times parents and sunday school teachers said if I was a good boy i'd go to Heaven someday. I would believe He was crucified,  He died and He was buried. On the third day He rose from the dead--only the God-man could possibly pull that off. He ascended into Heaven and sits at God's right hand to judge the living and the dead. 


Wanna be a Christian? You need Christ. We've taken Christ out of Christmas---let's not remove him from Christianity...not even sure what "ianity" would be...


"Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established." Proverbs 4:26


 If you want to be a Christian--acknowledge that you are going to screw up constantly. Anyone judging people at a church saying, "Well I can't justify going because they're all hypocrites, I saw them at the bar last night." Ok..so you are choosing not to be a Christian and go to fellowship with other Christians because they are all wrong and you are somehow blameless? Have you cast that first stone yet? 


Seriously- that is by far the worst excuse for missing out on fellowship with other Christians. OF COURSE they are hypocrites--and so are you. The day I found Jubilee as a new home church, we had a House party the night before. A drink alcohol house party---I went to church because I needed somewhere to fellowship with other believers who could build up my faith, not tear it down. From that day forward, we have gone steadily when able to Jubilee--and let me tell you, finding a home church with other believers who affirm you is the greatest asset a Christian can have.


The world hates us--and Christ called that one pretty well. Deal with it by surrounding yourself with other believers. Sometimes you may have to cut ties--love them but let them go so to speak. Sometimes if you are stubborn enough and refuse to move on that note, God will be happy to take the bad influence super far away. That doesn't mean you aren't friends anymore--but you can't fly with the eagles if you're hanging around with Turkeys as they say.


I am weak in that respect--I associate with people who hold opposite and in the past antagonistic beliefs. What can I do? I love these people. So, to grow my faith, I HANG OUT with people who can affirm my beliefs and I keep touch with those who may be on a different path but that I still care for deeply. 


And that's the way it goes. No one said it was easy to follow CHrist. It's probably been easier for us these days than it ever was before--so be thankful for that at least. Last I checked they weren't killing us here in the US. 


Take a step back and examine why complete and total trust in God doesn't seem possible in your life. Is it pride? Were you hurt by the church? DO you just not know how to start? 


It takes a leap of faith sometimes. Like Indiana Jones and that invisible bridge thing---sometimes you need to just step out... and Trust that God has your back. And no matter how often you screw up..no matter how much that sin in your life keeps rearing its ugly head...you will have somebody to lean on--who like no one else can eliminate that sin from remembrance--and give you a clean slate---who wouldn't want to trust someone like that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment