Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Monday, January 23, 2012

Proverbs 23: To Drink or Not To Drink, That is the Question

"Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when itgiveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things." Proverbs 23:31-33

I feel like this verse needs to be read 31-33 together to make sense, though I find that verse 33 is the more clear vision of what it may be saying.

It is no secret that societies throughout the ages have enjoyed partaking of strong drink. I am not here to argue against whether or not the Bible says you should drink. I have mixed feelings on it to begin with, which I may explore momentarily. Suffice it to say, verse 33 makes it clear that if one is to drink past a certain point, they begin to think differently.

The bars are filled each and every night with men beholding women and vice versa. Many times people who are normally very reserved become very outgoing after imbibing some select beverages. The argument for or against alcohol could rage on for days so I will try just to sum up my thoughts as of this exact moment in my life.

Currently I do not drink. It's not so much that I am fully against it. Rather, I was someone who drank when I was forced to go interact at social events (b/c I'd rather be home watching a movie), and for the most part otherwise, preferred a nice coke. Since my life consists of hanging out at home relaxing, I am rarely in situations where it is even an option anymore. I did go through a drink mixing phase when I was 21 where I attempted to make some different drinks, and I was a bartender at Red Lobster temporarily before moving to Austin.

I think what it comes down to is how you are able to handle yourself under the influence (even mild buzz) of alcohol. Are you someone who would be unfaithful to a loved one when the alcohol hits your system? Are you someone who NEEDs alcohol, as opposed to occasionally having a drink? Do you have the self control to not drive after a night of drinking? These are questions to consider before making the decision of whether or not to drink as Christian or even non-Christian. I know many Christian people who drink, and many who don't. Both sides have their reasons, and I think as long as one is responsible with their decisions, it can be acceptable.

If we are being honest, I enjoy the flavor of Captain Morgan Rum and Coke, but I also know that it is not wise for me to imbibe because the coke makes it easier to sip and therefore easier to overdo it.

In all honesty, I do not miss drinking. I don't think it is necessary to have fun, despite what many think. I would caution those not of age to hold off because we are called to follow the world's laws when they do not conflict with God's law. I think it takes a certain maturity to drink as well, and many younger individuals just cannot handle their emotions/actions while under the influence.

Ultimately, the Bible is cautionary about how to handle strong drink. Drunkenness is clearly taught against, while a casual drink seems accepted, if not somewhat supported in some instances. One need only search back to Genesis, immediately after the Flood to see the negative aspects of drunkenness.

I would recommend praying about how you will handle exposure to strong drink. Know your limits and watch your behavior closely if you do choose to imbibe. It is not necessary in the grand scheme of things though, so maybe grab a water or Dr. Pepper if you aren't sure how you are being led.

I will close on a lighter note by pointing out that in reference to carbonated flavored beverages it is "pop" not "Soda." Thank you, and have a blessed day ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment