Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Monday, January 9, 2012

Proverbs 9: Break Bread with Wisdom

"...as for him that wanteth understanding, she (wisdom) saith to him, Come, eat of my bread , and drink of the wine which I have mingled. Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding." Proverbs 9:4-6

A theme I have noticed in these first 9 chapters of Proverbs is that of referring to Wisdom as a woman. So for reference, the above verse is referring to wisdom-anthropomorphized- as a woman. The writer invites those who seek wisdom to come and break bread with her.

When God asked King Solomon what he desired, he chose wisdom, above riches, power and all other things he might have had. What possessed him to do this?

I have been struggling mentally lately-perhaps as a result of diving back into the Bible seriously for the first time in  awhile. I see the verses, read the words, and just want to run around shouting from the rooftops about God's glory and Christ's love for us. And then, my mind kicks in, and I realize that there are many in the world who would frown on such a display.
I have noticed in the news (and primarily coming from SNL parody) that the sheer number of Republican candidates running for office has become a running joke. IT has always been common of the liberal minded to insult the conservative; and vice versa, but this election year seems more hostile than usual. This may just be that it's the first year i've paid much attention though.

I'm not sure I could wisely choose any one candidate from either camp to represent my beliefs fully. The argument lately of separating religion from politics seems somewhat intriguing at this point because it is now popular to make fun of anyone running a platform based on any sort of belief system. The liberal camp seems to want us to believe in our humanity, while each conservative believes God has spoken to him or her and is fully backing their campaign. From a Christian perspective, there are some conservative beliefs I would like to see promoted in this country, as it is getting just a wee bit out of hand to me in some areas. On the other hand, many of the candidates cannot seem to fully represent their faith without coming off as a running joke.

Perhaps, the Christian political candidate would be smarter to pray for wisdom--as opposed to an election. There are many fools running around these days, and if you were to ask anyone what they would want if they could have anything, I highly doubt anyone would say wisdom. I feel overwhelmed, as I said before, with information currently. I have 3 different Christian podcasts I"m listening to, I just found all of Dr. J. Vernon McGee's Thru the Bible radio program that runs a total of 5 years if I only hear 1 per day, and I'm on a Bible reading plan each day. Add to that this blog and I am feeling a spiritual overload. And it's not a bad overload.

What I am struggling with is that I am gaining all of this knowledge, and feel that there is not enough time in the day to tell everyone about it--if that's even what I should be doing. I am reading an interesting book about how Islam has infiltrated America (wolf in sheep's clothing for sure here) and would love to share info, but don't feel prepared with the info. It would be quite beneficial for Christians to hear actually.

So that's where I am--I wish I could just have the wisdom and discernment to speak about and write only what God deems relevant--and that way I cut through the extra, or at least keep it to myself for spiritual personal growth.

I notice people must be reading this because there are over 200 hits (though every time I open it counts as a hit too...pretty sure I haven't read it 200 times though). I made the commitment to a proverb a day for the month of January so I will most definitely stick it out.

I just begin to wonder if this is something I am choosing to do, or if it is something God has led me to do. I have certainly entered into one of my "spiritual seasons." But often they last a short time and then I get distracted again by a new video game or television show--and I really don't want that to keep happening. I want the Christian lifestyle to be a part of me always, and to always desire more spiritual insight (the hunger for the Word of God people speak about). I have the hunger now, but I am afraid I am eating alone. Juliet and I can share, but we have no really good spiritual friends currently. I did meet a guy at work who is married and could be a great married couple to hang with and get into the word with, but I am bad at friend making. I have my group of friends from forever ago (many I never even hear from anymore) and I find it hard to let new people in. Odd considering how friendly I like to be.

Clearly this has detoured today--but the point of this tangent is that Wisdom is a high thing to desire. We should all be asking for wisdom from God before speaking our thoughts on His word--or just on life in general. I began a simple prayer awhile ago, "speak to me and speak through me." I wish my established friends were in the same boat right now so we could grow spiritually together. Heck I wish all of my family felt the same so we could have common ground in that respect.

I shall turn all of this over to God for now. I want to extend a special prayer to my long time friends, family, acquaintances, and just anyone in general who is still searching for something. The answer has always been Christ. The answer will always be Christ. It's so hard to let go of personal pride and rely totally on someone else (especially in someone not physically visible). But, the evidence is there. Pray for wisdom and guidance as you search the Bible. Pray for the evidence you seek, and let God's Word reveal the answers you seek. Do not read it as just another book, but rather read with emphasis on getting the meaning that God has for you.

Be Blessed Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment