Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Proverbs 24: A Dish Best Not Served





"Say not, I will do so to him as he hath done to me: I will render to the man according to his work." Proverbs 24:29

"Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth..." Proverbs 24:17

I have really only had one length of time in my life where I could have been considered vengeful. The background is laid in other posts and to those who know me, but the first job I had in Austin, was an atmosphere that my attitude of wanting revenge first manifested.

I could try to justify this by saying that I was pressed into this mindset because I was surrounded by people who thrived on revenge and hurting people-mentally and physically. But, as I've said before, no matter how strong a pull the environment may impress upon me, it is always my free will to choose the right path. In all honesty there were days there that I would have given anything to be a fighter and just slug somebody. I'm surprised many times that the ex-gang members who held pull there didn't punch me (save one incident played for humor and mutually consented to).

It's a weird place to be when you spend your entire life surrounded by people who support you, only to be suddenly thrust into an environment of hate. Sure there were some good people there, but they were clearly overshadowed by the bad. And, the worst of it was that day to day, we weren't sure if they were going to be friendly or spiteful. Some days the meanest people could be very friendly. It was their ability to turn at moment's notice that made it so difficult.

I was backed into corners emotionally and pressed to my limit daily in one way or another. I schemed of ways to get those people in trouble to pay them back for how they treated me, but none came to fruition. This is a past sin I can admit to outside of the moment, but in the moment, you would have been hard pressed to convince me they didn't deserve God's vengeance. The verse above refers to not paying back enemies with more wrathfulness. Revenge is a dish best not served at all. "Vengeance is mine," says the Lord.

One year for Christmas, one of our 'enemies' had a new baby in his family. Juliet and I realized that our hateful feelings and actions towards this individual as payback for how we were treated by him, were not what God would have us to feel. We pulled some money together and bought some baby clothes for his new son. The moment we gave them too him all hatred and anger fell away, and he genuinely thanked us. I felt in that moment that all was forgiven, we could move forward. Sure we had minor struggles after that, but a shift in thinking occurred. I tell that story not to brag about good deeds, but to point out that if we pay our enemies with kindness, the Lord blesses both parties. The barriers of anger are torn down, even if just for a moment, as we realize that each of us is in this world together.

As a Christian, I learned so much from working at that job. How to be humble, how to just stop speaking and let God handle things, how to love my enemies and forgive, and so much more. Now that God gave me my current job (and make no mistake it was Heaven sent), I can look back at what I learned and apply it to future events.

Today I will have to go visit the old workplace to pick up my W2's and I'm actually looking forward to seeing some people again. Whatever may have happened, whatever they put me through, God has healed my heart and I hold zero ill will. Sure I can refer to the situations in story form, but I do not dwell on what was experienced.

I challenge you to do something nice for the person who gets under your skin the most. Someone who you cannot stand to be around. Take them to lunch, buy a small gift, have a nice conversation. Whatever you do, remember that when we repay evil with good, our lights can shine that much brighter for Christ. God will take care of justice in the end, for now, live and learn and show God's love.


No comments:

Post a Comment