Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Monday, January 30, 2012

Proverbs 30: Talkin' Bout my G-G-Generation

"There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness." Proverbs 30:12

Friends, we are living in tough times for Christians. Not yet physically tough, but mentally and spiritually, we are under assault. Many of us might not be fully experiencing it yet, but for those truly living for the Gospel, it will come.

The early church was much different than what it has become. I am all for grace preaching and prosperity, and I do believe God provides for those within His will who give to Him as well, but when we look back to the early days of the church, it was less about prosperity and more about suffering.

Paul writes extensively on the sufferings of the early church, and if I"m not mistaken, all or very close to all of the original disciples died deaths of martyrs for Christ.

Nowadays we preach that God wants us all blessed, and that is true to an extent. But with blessings also come sufferings sometimes. To completely erase the suffering from the gospel is to take away its very heart. It's not our favorite thing to discuss, but being a Christian is not without its costs. IF it were all fun and games and blessings and money falling from the sky, this generation would be clambering at the church doors. As it is, this generation is falling far from Christianity.

Not everyone. There are still many active churches, experiencing great revival. From a media standpoint (and being a Journalism major, this would be my area) Christians are extremely persecuted. Muslims are treated better in the United States and with more respect than even the best Christian leaders. Perhaps our nation bends over backwards for them out of fear. Regardless, popular media does not like Christianity.

Sometimes I don't blame them. Have you heard Christians speaking lately? Have you seen them picketing funerals and cursing people to Hell? I've said before we are called to rebuke, but not to judge. We are to hate the sin and love the sinner. Sometimes our hatred of sin causes hatred of sinner by default. This is NOT ok. I'm guilty of it at times. You are too. Welcome to the club. It's called humanity. God hates it. I hate it. The only people who don't hate that kind of behavior are the people participating.

I am against homosexuality, abortion, and all the hot button issues, but I am against them from a Biblical standpoint. I will not go around condemning them, but I am not going to be afraid of rebuking. In all honesty, I know gay people and I know women who have had abortions, and I see them no differently than anyone else.

What if someone were to project all of your darkest sins on a giant projector for all to see? That wouldn't feel too great. I'm sure likewise it doesn't feel great when Christians are screaming at and picketing specific sins, while simultaneously ignoring their own private demons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect. I've been guilty of cynicism towards sins that I don't practice. But I also have a laundry list of sin that is equally bad in God's eyes that I would prefer stay between Him and I. I have repented. It is forgotten. Washed clean--but with repentance comes turning from that sin.

There have been sins that I cannot seem to get rid of. No matter how I try, I fall again. I pray for forgiveness and am forgiven, but my human nature fights my desire for a Godly lifestyle. How do we deal with this?

Well according to the Word, we are never going to be perfect. We are made perfect by Christ's sacrifice, but we will never pull it off on our own. Therefore, no matter how repentant we may be, it is always possible to fall back into old habits, sins, temptations, etc...

I believe true forgiveness comes from repenting with a sincere desire to cease and desist. God knows you may fall back again, but He also knows you are marked for Him, and Christ's blood was for this very thing.

The blood of Christ did two important things. Number one is what we focus on the most. It washes away our sins. Perhaps even more importantly though, (number 2 if you will) it satisfies God's wrath/judgment. God hates sin. Humans are born to sin. God loves humans, but cannot be in full fellowship with them unless something covers the sin. Christ died for our sins. His blood is the final piece of the puzzle. We are taught that by trusting in His blood and sacrifice, God's judgment is satisfied. We can fellowship with Him. BUT, it is ONLY through Christ. Christ alone. There are not fifty different paths. There is one. Only one person died for our sins. Only one person serves as mediator between God and sinful man. If you want to fellowship with God eternally, you must be covered by Christ's sacrifice. This is where the terms "Born-again" and "saved" come from. They are straight from the Bible.  These are not scary words. Salvation, born-again, saved, ---I'm still Chris after saying those words. I didn't transform into what you would call a "holy Roller." Or maybe you do see me that way. I hope so. I wasn't always trying to be this close to God. I embrace the stigma of Christianity. I am not ashamed of the gospel, and neither should any Christian be.

Don't let the media wash away your desire to preach salvation by Christ alone. At least for now, no one is physically stopping you. And even if they were, no one said following Christ would be easy. That's probably why He said "take up your CROSS and follow me." Not grab some snacks and a scooter and ride along next to me at a comfortable cruising speed.

There is one chapter left of my Proverbs blogs, and though all of them were unplanned and typed at the speed of thought, I hope some of you, or all of you have benefited in some way.

Once again, allow me to extend to opportunity to those of you who might not yet know Christ as your savior, to pray. Acknowledge you are a sinner. You cannot save yourself, and need Christ's sacrifice to cover your sin and satisfy God's judgement. IT is a free gift, by faith, not works. But once saved, we are called to do good works so that our reward in Heaven will be that much greater.

I hope you have enjoyed the ride so far. Who knows what tomorrow's chapter will bring. Hopefully something wonderful. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment