Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Friday, January 20, 2012

Proverbs 20: God's Measuring Standard

"Divers weights, and divers measures, both of them are alike abomination to the LORD." Proverbs 20:10
"Divers weights are an abomination unto the LORD; and a false balance is not good." Proverbs 20:23

I did a little research into these verses to understand the intended meaning.

God has His own measure of how we are supposed to live. I may think that I can measure myself against someone who is worse than me in my own eyes, but in reality, God uses the same measurement.

A number of verses come to mind at this. He without sin cast the first stone, remove the plank from your own eye, judge not lest ye be judged. The odd thing is that Christians; and moreso the world at large, have misunderstood these references for awhile.

I can't count how many times a non-believer has used the verse "Judge Not, let ye be Judged" as an excuse to continue to participate in an abominable lifestyle. "God will judge me, not you!" That statement is true; however, there is an element missing.

God will be the final judge or all of us. Even Christians will be accountable for how much "fruit" they produced, though their salvation is secure in Christ, non-profitable works will be burned up. It is not right to use the aforementioned verse to justify your wrong behavior. Christians, in fact, are called to rebuke sinful behavior amongst other Christians, and the world at large. It is more common these days to just "get along" with the world's ways rather than confront. Let me tell you, political correctness is not always the name of the game for Christians. We are called to love our neighbor, but even Jesus loved his neighbor while simultaneously rebuking their behavior.

We are to be salt and light to the world, but many of us are still hiding in the shadows, afraid to confront society at large with the truth of God's word. Yes many of them will attack back verbally and emotionally, but we are called to speak truthfully. I will not stand around saying I approve of something, that I do not. On that same note however, I do realize that my sin is equal to your sin in God's eyes. Therefore it is not for me to JUDGE you, but to rebuke, with compassion and teaching. Rather than going around telling people how wrong they are, provide them with reasoning behind it. Use yourself as an example of someone just as fallen as them. We don't need to be rude to bring the truth home. That is where the verse gets taken out of context.

I read this verse as referring to equality amongst race as well. Now I have been guilty of prejudices and stereotyping in my life. It is unfortunately a natural reaction in all of us to notice that which is different. Now don't mistake this for racism. I don't care what color or nationality you are, I am saying that I notice behaviors that I could technically associate with certain groups of people (myself included). I would be sinning--and according to the verse above, committing abomination to the LORD. His creation is equal, and everyone is measured according to the same rod. We must therefore resist the urge to associate certain groups with certain behaviors for the purpose of stereotyping.

This is difficult for some--think of all the stand up comedy that would lose material if this were taken away. I'd say 90% of stand up today is observational humor-often involving ethnic stereotypes. I used to be worse about this, and still struggle not to notice things, but I truly do not want to be that way now.

If I measure you by my own rod and mindset, how much more will God rebuke me. His standard of measure is the only true measure.

Let us look within ourselves, at our own flaws and sins, and address them before God before even considering speaking to another about theirs. But remember, as Christians, we must be accountable to one another. Only when believers are honest with other believers about what is right according to God's word can we begin to approach the secular world in order that they might turn from sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment