Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Vocation Station

As I was looking back on my accomplishments in college, I stumbled onto some of the videos I did for my video production class. I remember going to college and majoring in Broadcast Journalism because I knew I could work with audio/video production (my interest). The last two years at OSU were the best because I finally got to have classes that involved this type of creation. 

Career-wise, I'm not sure I ever expected it to go too far. The ability was there, but I think in regards to production, my creativity was always lacking a bit. My best work was done on teams (though my ideas seemed to get picked up often). 

I was thinking that in the 4 years since graduating, this form of career path has drastically changed. Now anyone can edit and post a video online (sometimes in professional quality). I learned that an iPod Touch can take HD video comparable to the HD Camcorders we used in class when edited properly in post-production.

I think this was always a hobby that I wanted to turn into a career, but I never really knew how to get into that field. It wasn't particularly glamorous as a field, but sitting around editing video seemed fun. 

Now that I am happy at my current job (that is slightly related), I realize I'm not sure what my "dream job" would be. Lately, I could see it involving music performance, professional writing, managing for a good company, owning business, editing video/audio, working in radio, or even some type of ministry. 

The guy that I worked with some projects on in those classes has gone on to form his own company based on animated videos that demonstrate in a short burst what a client's company is all about. It's actually quite impressive, and a part of me wishes I had thought to take a similar route. 
*Check it out here: http://www.explainify.com *

I know in life now that I am to use my talents in whatever I do to glorify God. I can pick and choose the ways that could apply to each potential dream job, but ultimately, it won't be entirely up to me. 

As I sit back and watch these videos, I'm reminded of a fun time of creativity. I think the knowledge gained in College is still valuable, and the degree will come in handy in some form. Right now I am a great position that I have no intention of leaving, and actually plan on climbing the ladder as high as I can take it. 

Does part of me still want to perform music or write novels or edit videos? Yes. But that part is reserved for my free time. 

I did not intend any great insight here (and was likely just filling space to show off these videos). Regardless, vocation can be a funny thing. May we all be privileged to fulfill our God-given callings.


Check out my videos below:




Roxanne: A re-do of the classic sting video with Don Fahrny as main character, and my former band "the Huntsmen" filling in as the lip syncing band..

Guitar Stalker: My brainchild about the guitarist whose relationship advice is to pursue the girl and woo her with music...his misguided attempt results in a more stalker-like situation. 

Charlie's Discount Drug Commercial: A quick promo for a drugstore. The premise is they know all their customers by name, and know them so well, that Don's outlandish behavior does not even phase them as they are used to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment