Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Non-Negotiable Doctrine



***Random Thought Intro***
I am not always sure what compels me to write some mornings. I generally just begin typing and let the words come out as they will. My mind is usually awash with so many competing thoughts that it's difficult to focus.

I have been doing/listening to/taking notes on, a sermon series by my current favorite preacher/teacher, Mike Fabarez on "Sorting out the End Times," recently and it is by far the best lesson on the topic that I've ever had.

***Background***

I truthfully recommitted my Christian life after reading the "Left Behind" books and realizing (through that fictional drama) that there was more to being a Christian than just going to youth events for laser tag and a devotional. Though I did learn the value of fellowship with the youth, I feel that I am the loner of the bunch in regards to where my spiritual path has led me.

Lest anyone take this wrong, I am certainly thankful for those years in terms of adolescent transitioning to adult development. There were great life lessons to be had, and a lot of fun. We did get into the Bible once in awhile, but I recall the attention spans of us all being short and limited for that part of the night.

Perhaps, an incident I still recall from my time after the group is what still nags me a bit and causes me to pause and reflect in a more neutral way on my time there. I recall as I was studying the Book of Revelation (for new Christians, please don't start with this one--I was an odd ball), being invited back to speak a little bit during one of the weekly Bible studies. I'd been in college a year or so, so naturally felt I had the knowledge and life experience to explain Revelation to these youth.

I will grant that it was not the best plan for my first attempt to lead a Bible study, but it wasn't the Revelation part that ended up stunning me that day. A statement made during that time, when everyone had gotten riled up and started questioning before I even touched on the Rapture of the Church (another dangerous topic to present to Methodists), really cut me spiritually, and made me wonder where the church really stood on matters of faith.

I had gone to a non-denominational church during college enough to realize that "salvation" and "trusting in Jesus for Salvation...i.e. being Saved" was a concept that had not been touched on in my time as a Methodist. Maybe touched upon, but never using those common words. I knew enough about Christianity to realize that Jesus was (and still is) the only way to salvation. I knew the verses to back it up, and I recall suggesting during this Bible study that He was the only way.

The response that met my assertion was one that seems to be plaguing the church today. It was a response that as best I can recall, challenged my reading of John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth and the life and NO ONE comes to the Father but by me." This key verse in Christianity is one of many instances that Christ asserted that He was and is the only means by which we can be saved. The statement was challenged, though I cant' recall the exact words, and my view of my home church, full of people I loved so much..was tainted.

I doubt anyone else that was there remembers this, and perhaps I've blown it up in my mind over the years, but I truly could not figure out how professing Christians (Methodist or not) could not fully, 100% accept this statement as a foundational doctrine of our faith.

***The Non-Negotiable***

There are aspects of Christianity that are foundational doctrine that are truly salvation issues, and that is one for sure. We can divide some truths with the "non-salvation" issues if we are truly seeking harmony between churches, but we cannot under any circumstance disregard or throw away the fundamental tenants of Christianity.

One of my previous blogs had them listed in more detail, but for the purpose of this one, the assertion, Made by Christ, out of His own mouth, and not the mouth of His then followers, that He was (and is) truly God, and the only way to be reconciled to God, is a non-debatable faith doctrine. The mere suggestion that this isn't the case, immediately damages our witness as Christians. If we cannot even acknowledge what Jesus, the "founder" of Christianity said Himself, how can we expect anyone to ever trust the faith?

I notice in today's culture that many respectable pastors have taken to this "sorta, kinda, maybe he was," view of Jesus that I caught a glimpse of that day. One of my biggest challenges in my Christian walk is dealing with the constant barrage of anti-Christian sentiment that comes daily in our media and culture. Perhaps more troubling; however, is professing Christians holding to non-Christian beliefs and doctrines in an effort to make the faith more pleasing to man.

Jesus made it clear we were set apart from this world. Pleasing man with Christ's teaching was never the goal. It is God we seek to please.

Ironically, the flaky Christians and non-Christians of our day, love the "moral teacher" version of Jesus. They acknowledge his love of everyone, and associate him with the golden rule, forgetting all the while that it was Jesus Himself who talked about the exclusivity of a Christian walk. It was Jesus who spoke of our culture's most hated of 4-letter words, "Hell."

The buddy Christ image doesn't fly doctrinally unless we have fully trusted on Him for salvation and accepted His grace. If someone is still living in unbelief, that nice moral teacher Jesus they have created for themselves is not gonna be the first guy they want to see when they leave this world.

In the letters to the churches in the first chapters of Revelation, we see a glimpse of Jesus as he truly is today. He is not Jesus meek and mild, but Jesus glorified, at the right hand of the Father, ready to come and judge a world that 2000 years later still refuses to acknowledge Him. For Christians, it is a Jesus of hope because we trust only in Him to be saved from this judgment on sin.

One thing I  never really thought about until a year or so ago is what are Christians "saved" from? To be "saved" there must be something to be saved from.

I've heard preachers claiming we are saved from bad feelings, or from living immorally. I've heard stories of preachers even preaching that Christians can be "saved" from excess weight.

Truthfully, Biblically, and with all the conviction I can muster, let me state that we are saved from the Wrath of God. It's a harsh phrase for our delicate sensibilities these days, but it's the absolute final word on that, Biblically.

This isn't the Gospel of Chris, and if I say something that seems exclusivist or intolerant, realize that it was Jesus who said it first. The Sugar-coated gospel is not an option in a culture that hates Christians currently. Without the conviction of God's Holy spirit through faithful and honest preaching of God's word, we are simply living as the world.

Like the often used example of the Laodicean church, we are lukewarm, preferring to ride the fence instead of risking offense of someone on either extreme. Jesus says he will spew that church from his mouth, as vomit. If that isn't a scary image, I don't know what is.

I worry for some friends who claim Christianity but practice something else. I worry for pastors who preach Christianity, but adhere to a false, worldly version.

***What should we Do?***

If we take Christ at face value, and at His own words, then every person on this earth should be moved and convicted. It is not a laughing matter, and as our world gets worse and worse, we come closer to the day when there will no longer be a choice. When the books will be closed, and we will stand naked without excuse in front of a righteous judge, not like our judges of this world. A judge who cannot be unrighteous and is therefore, by nature, fully just in all He says and does. If we think we can present a case before this judge, we have a harsh reality coming. Excuses abound here on earth for not committing our lives to Christ, but in most cases they are not grounded on anything but the popular opinion of the day. How can Christians be salt and light to a dark and tasteless world, if we claim Christianity while practicing pluralism? Or, if we claim Christianity while incorporating other religions into our worship and daily lives?

We've got the final authority, written, confirmed, and ready to speak the truth. We've had it for years, and no argument against its validity has ever been fully substantiated. The Bible is God's word for a lost world, and we do well to study it.

I suppose the point of this would be to encourage my Christian brother and sisters primarily to search back to Christ's teachings. Stop sugar coating the gospel and seeking to please the world. If we are truly practicing what Jesus preached we are probably going to be hated by the world, by family, by friends. At the very least we will face some awkward situations. It comes with the territory.

Christianity is full of love, but the love aspect is only realized once acknowledging that we have a serious problem. God is mad at us, and we need something to cover us from that anger. Because of God's love, He came down, as both man and God to fully realize the penance required for our sin. It's been taken care of in Christ. We need only put our trust in Christ for salvation from God's wrath. Not salvation from bad feelings or trouble at work (though God can certainly help with those things). Salvation from a rather scary prospect. Loving one another will come naturally to the Christian in right step with God. We are justified by faith, and prove that justification through our daily sanctifying of ourselves to be fruitful. We do it with Christ. Through no other. No compromise, it's time to stand firm brothers and sisters. No more flaky gospel, no more Gospel of inclusion and tolerance. The Gospel will appear exclusivist and intolerant to those perishing. It is our job to show love and thoroughly explain why our Gospel is exclusive and ultimately the only true Gospel. We must become more learned in our faith, and stop sitting on the sidelines. How can we make disciples of the world, if we cannot even acknowledge the one who called us to do so? Christ was offensive, Christ was radical, and Christ was and is unique...there is no other way but by Him.

******Another resource**********
For a previous post regarding the exclusivity of Christ, see "No Other Name." Praise God that to date, it is the most read Christian blog that I have posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment