Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Kanye Goes to Church

As I write, I'm playing the new Kanye album, "Jesus is King". In all honesty, I've never listened to his other albums. But, perhaps that's a good thing. I go in with a fresh mind. And, lyrically, it's certainly a Christian album.

I've only been reading positive reviews from Christians, and articles about Kanye coming to Christ, but my understanding is there is a lot of judgment and venom directed at him from believers going on as well.

I think that some of it is envy, or simply a distaste for his musical style. We're not used to people of wealth and fame truly coming to Christ. Yet, that may be the exact point of it.

Generation Z and late term Millennials are far from God. They need big influence and well known people to tell them about Jesus. They aren't listening to the traditional preachers and churches. And, while I'm certain Kanye has a lot of growth ahead, there's nothing to say he can't be used even in his state as a new believer.

I scoffed initially reading news about his church services, and figured it was publicity stunt or just another way for him to get attention. But, it appears now, it was genuine. And, he has had some pastors with good theological credentials around him. So, we can hope that he is discipled and grows in the faith quickly to speak God's truth to a generation in need.

This same thing seemed to happen when Justin Bieber also began going to church, and talking about Christ. Christians were the first to judge him. The first to doubt his faith.

"If they only see the wrongs, never listen to the songs
Just to listen is a fight, but you booked me for the fight
It's so hard to get along if they only see the slight
From the love of religion
What have you been hearin' from the Christians?
They'll be the first one to judge me
Make it seem like nobody love me
I'm not tryna lead you to Visas
But if I try to lead you to Jesus
We get called halfway believers
Only halfway read Ephesians
Only if they knew what I knew, uh
I was never new 'til I knew of
True and living God, Yeshua
The true and living God
(Somebody pray for me)

Those are lines in Kanye's new song "Hands On" and they expresses the sentiment I expect he will get at first. He is speaking of Christians judging him, not the world. And, he asks for somebody to pray for him. What reason could a fellow believer have to not pray for Kanye? I don't believe there is one.

Is it uncomfortable in some ways to see those who were completely of the world, come to Christ? It is. But, it should serve as a reminder that no matter how lost, not matter how dead in sin someone is, The Holy Spirit can still call them to faith and repentance in Christ. And, we were no better in our own sin before Christ's call, lest we forget.

If God needs to use Kanye or Bieber to reach the lost of our generation, who are we to question it? If God can convert Saul and other enemies of the faith to go on and do great things, why not the rich or famous of our time? We are a culture obsessed with celebrity, surely God is aware of this and can use celebrity as a means to further His kingdom.

And, what if we're wrong? What if it's a false conversion? Does that affect our ability to live daily for Christ? No, we are still accountable to God for our own lives, not the lives of others.

I'm praying for Kanye and Bieber, as the two I know specifically who have expressed Christ in recent times. I'm praying the conversion was real, and that they can bring people to Christ through their influence and music.

It's not about whether or not we like the particular music style. It's not about their past. If they are truly professing Christian faith, we need to support and encourage our new brothers in Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment