Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Musical Adventures


Black & White Stare- Very serious process


A year ago today, I got the opportunity, thanks to LeeAnn Swanson (mom) and her generous birthday gift, to have 8 hours of recording at Cedar Creek Recording in Austin.

This was the studio my uncle Jimmy was partner in, and where (as I understand) he recorded most or all of his albums.

To really make it memorable, I played my grandma (Mema's) Alvarez acoustic that she used to strum her 3-chord songs on at the Gospel Barn.
The Alvarez

I had limited time, and a major sinus infection (taking Alka Seltzer dissolvable tablets to temporarily offset some stuffiness- these are great by the way for quick release).

My main goal was to get my newest song at the time "Street Corner Salvation" down with an acoustic/vocal track, and some lead fills (which Jesse LaFave kindly played on his resonator guitar).

My best friend Tyler got to come hang out that day, and as a tribute to a song we had written together in college, I recorded it as well. That is "Open Your Eyes" and it's the only one I did as a piano recording.

My crowd favorite "Fade Away" and two Jimmy LaFave cover tunes "Vanished" and "The Open Space" rounded out my time.

I knew with wife and baby, living in Oklahoma now, this might be my one chance to record, not only at this famous spot for family music, but at all in terms of finances.

Though a quick day, I mostly accomplished what I wanted. I added a few minor things to them from home when I returned to Ada, but the majority of the tunes that day were done with pro equipment in a pro setting.

I would love to do this more often, or even do a full album with a backing band in a studio, but who knows when that will be financial possible.

This seems to be my musical predicament. Though I play weekly leading worship at ECU Wesley, and any other chance I get, gigs and recording time are few and far between. The gig at the Grandview in Ada for the PAWS Animal shelter event was great, and has received some good attention on Facebook this week.

Mic check 1, 2
I'm most comfortable on a stage, singing, in front of people- playfully bantering between songs (as Jimmy used to do), and just enjoying my time. I'll continue seeking more opportunities, and hopefully someday I can find the means to do more pro recording. In the meantime, I've not done too bad with GarageBand and some ingenuity over the years (Apple EarPods make a quick microphone if you add effects to it after).

Keep a look out on the Chris Byers Band page for FaceBook as I hope to post a bit more. I'd love to do a weekly video of me just playing some songs I know- so I'll try to work on that. Juggling work and toddler make it tricky sometimes to find the time.

Thanks for reading, I need to start writing here more as well. I'll have a post based on a message I'm giving at the Wesley on Nov 26th most likely, so stay tuned.
Smile- must have been a good take!

God Bless!
CB

No comments:

Post a Comment