Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Saturday, May 18, 2013

It's All Greek to Me



I wonder sometimes where I get ideas to do things. Often a random conversation or occurrence will spur in me the desire to create or do something that I would not have otherwise thought to do. This happened a few weeks back when on a whim I decided I would teach myself Greek.

Originally, or what I told myself anyway, was that I would learn Biblical Koine Greek, so that I could begin reading the New Testament in its original language. This would allow me to better defend the authority of scripture and the relevancy of the Bible to those who think it has been changed too much over the years to be of any use (hint: it has not been changed in ways that dramatically affect the faith).

It's Greek to Me

As I decided to begin writing this, I remembered an oft heard phrase, "It's all Greek to me." I began wondering what the origin and intent of such a phrase was originally. My understanding, from the context, was that it had something to do with an idea that was not able to be understood easily. Actually, I find the Greek language, though somewhat difficult, to not be overly complicated thus far. So, here is some of what I found that I will share before continuing.

Wikipedia shows that it may have originated with Latin speaking monk scribes in the Middle ages as the Greek language was slowly dwindling among those copying transcripts in monasteries. Shakespeare and other authors had also used the phrase in a similar way as well. The link above will fill in the rest for those who care to check it. Welcome back!

The article had at its end a list of the variations on this phrase for different languages, including (to my surprise) one for Greek. The Greeks would say, "Αυτά μου φαίνονται κινέζικα" roughly translated, "This seems Chinese to me."

Oddly enough, Juliet's native tongue also references the Chinese language as its unintelligible language related to this turn of phrase. There's is something like, "Me suena en chino or está en Chino," which basically is the same concept of, "this is Chinese to me."

I'm not sure what the point of that lesson was except that I found it odd that in Greek there happened to be a phrase similar to ours which referenced their language. I guess those who speak Greek see Chinese as the hard language. I'd probably agree.

So, I began simply by hand copying various writings in Greek. The typical first year seminary reading of John 1:1 and the Lord's Prayer were my first choices. The idea was more for a familiarity with the language, as I still could not directly translate them just from visual at this point (or currently if we're being honest). From that I learned the alphabet and its pronunciations.

My first roadblock hit was learning that the pronunciations of Koine Greek (Biblical writings) and Modern Greek (That which is spoken in Greece) are much different. Also, that native Greek speakers are very emphatic about how one pronounces their language. Youtube had quite a few attacks on pronunciation by native speakers critiquing the videos of seminary and other professors attempting to teach Koine Greek.

Because I decided to teach this to myself on a whim, I'm not particularly sure yet which pronunciation approach I will take, but I am leaning towards understanding both if possible. The letters are the same, just different ways to say them.

With any goal, there must be an element of personal reflection or growth. So far I have learned a few things about myself from this endeavor.

1) If I am not being pressured with homework and due dates, I study better and learn faster

Sorry teachers, but the freedom of knowing I am doing this of my own accord and not being forced or required makes it so much more enjoyable. We'll see how disciplined I stay as I progress, but for now, it's very fun to me. I can write and study when I want, where I want, and other than personal goals I have nothing rushing me.

2) I learn better writing things than typing them

Sorry computer nerds, it just happens that physically writing the language has helped me retain the information better. Practicing by writing it has been helpful too. I could sit on Google Translate all day typing in phrases for memory, but I likely will not remember them. I have a really nice little notebook with a great pen that makes my handwriting look legible, and I slowly and carefully write each phrase and word and do my best to absorb it.

3) I will eventually have to cooperate with someone or something to fully grasp the language

Sorry self, you can't just go solo on this one. At some point I realize I will be past the basics of the language and get stuck, or just need someone to quiz me. There is a demo for the Greek version of Rosetta Stone that has the majority of the Level 1which I have been repeating over and over trying to learn phrases. I would love to purchase (at some point) the full 3 level version because from what I can tell so far, it is a legitimate way to expose yourself to the basics of a language.

4) I need to expose myself practically and culturally to the language 

Sorry wallet, eventually I would like to take a trip to Greece. Most people I talk to from Mexico (Juliet's family and her) say the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in the culture and be surrounded by it. This would explain why with only a college level understanding of Spanish, I am now able to fully grasp what Juliet and her family talk about in conversation. If I am focused, with words I know and context, I can figure out the topic and conversational aspects; as well as, the emotional emphases used by the speakers.

I first realized this trick when on our engagement night, Juliet and I attended a showing of "Night at the Museum" in Mexico. She assured me there would be English subtitles so I did not think to question her. I had also seen the movie once in English. It turns out there were no subtitles and it was completely in Spanish, but I followed it and understood a good portion from hearing it (not just my memories of seeing it in English).

This wouldn't be the first time that happened, as years later she assured me prior to seeing Avatar that it would have English subtitles too. Her dad sat next to me translating every 10 minutes or so because once again she was mistaken. It was fun though. The Spanish subtitles for the Na'vi language sections were the easiest parts because I am pretty good at reading Spanish.

My weakness in Spanish is speaking it, and part of that is shyness. I told Juliet I could probably hold a conversation with her. She isn't so sure. Our dogs understand Spanish more than English because she speaks to them with Spanish words. I learn those words and began using them as well. Our dogs don't have bones, they have "huesos," and Puggy doesn't know what a "bone" is.

Moving On

Going forward, though I find this to be an interesting project, I have not yet established my endgame. Juliet says she would learn with me if I promise a trip to Greece someday. She probably is set up more mentally to absorb multiple languages as she is already fully fluent in two. She'd rather learn German or Italian next, but maybe after Greek we can do that. Is there really anything stopping someone from having at least a base knowledge of 4 or 5 languages? After my study thus far, I'd say a general understanding is certainly possible, though it likely would take years of disciplined practice.

Spiritual Application
My original intent was to use the language to read New Testament, and I think I will maintain that. But, currently with the Rosetta Stone demo, I have a genuine interest in speaking a little as well. I could always go to seminary and take elementary Greek, but then I'd have a schedule and due dates and the desire might fade. Also, I'm still of the opinion that not everyone who wants to go to seminary should go to seminary. We have enough "not quite Christian" Christian pastors out there as it is without adding more false shepherds to the pool. I still feel it would be a calling to pursue that route and thus far, God hasn't had anything to say to me on it. I'm open to it, but we'll have to see.

In the end, I will pursue this as long as my interest holds, and hopefully next time people see me I can speak some Greek and hear them say, "Sorry Chris, I didn't get that..it was all Greek to me." And I will think, "yes...yes it was."

Here is a sample of my current Greek knowledge, though without a Greek keyboard on the blog, they are copy/pasted from Google Translate:

Χρειάζεται βενζίνης - Translated: She needs gasoline. I find that word, "Χρειάζεται" to be my least favorite Greek word so far. It is way too long with an "x (chi)" and a "z (zeta)" and all it means is "need." Hopefully, the rest of the language will be easy. But, either way, it's all Greek to me!

"All Greek to me" Pun Count: 2....figured I'd have more than that by the end of this.

Be blessed friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment