Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Art of Fantasy League

I'll take a brief interlude here today and focus on something that has captured my interest (sort of). We started a fantasy football league this season at work.

I confess I know absolutely nothing about what is going on most of the time. I was auto-drafted (slept during draft), and came out with an average team. Another guy on our team got Auto-drafted and has a winning team without even touching it....he hasn't even checked scores!

Our week 4 match-ups are approaching and I am up against the league leader. I will likely lose, but hold onto a sliver of hope that I will pull off some amazing comeback.

We tentatively have bet that the loser takes the point difference and runs that amount of miles over the next month. I'm projected to lose by 30 points currently...so a mile a day looks likely for the upcoming month.

I keep thinking of the concept of a Fantasy Football league. We basically are picking and choosing these players on perceived performance predictions. We look at past performance to predict what could occur, but ultimately we never know for sure.

In this way I can relate it back to our faith walk. No matter how well we try to predict what is to come in this life, only God truly knows the outcome. I can hope for favorable outcomes, but ultimately have no control real control at the end of the day. I have influence, but not control.

Just as I shift my players on the team around to achieve the best result possible, we often shift our lives around to achieve the best results. While we can certainly influence to a degree, we will never know the future result until the game is done.

As my match-up gets closer, I continue the shifting of players, sometimes attempting trades to get better options. Some people are willing to sacrifice/trade for a mutual leg up--others will not give up their "assurance" for the sake of yours.

I will learn more as the weeks progress, and maybe dramatically come back in the end for a league win. If nothing else I can try for more wins than losses. After all, you can't win them all...


No comments:

Post a Comment