Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Monday, August 20, 2012

Youth in a Casual Christian World

This weekend I had a chance to lead the music for a Youth Retreat from Jubilee at McKinney Falls State park. Prior to getting there, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I haven't really had much interaction with the Youth at Jubilee, as I am usually just on stage playing in the morning services and not much else.

When I got up to sing, our Associate Pastor Matthew had just finished a good sermon on ascending the mountaintop, and sometimes having to release certain "burdens" to help with our climb. These burdens could be damaging friendships, anger or resentment, and any other number of things that youth find troublesome in their journey.

The atmosphere of being in a wooded area, outdoors made me think back to my Camp Egan church camp days. As a youth at First United Methodist, I truly had a great time. We did so many fun things, and I got to know some great people.

As an adult now, I look back on those experiences and remember them slightly differently. As a youth, I was always there for some fun activity. The focus was on the fun, and the devotionals at the end of the night were nice, but not the first thing that stood out.

The time of year in which I felt the most "God-connection" was Camp Egan. Being away from the world as it were, for a week with daily worship was an easier means of connecting. The night time worship--particularly the last one before leaving--was the one time that as a Methodist, I partially understood what Christianity was about. It was the first mention I heard of salvation. It was the only time we had altar calls. The music was emotional and the response was too. As I think back now, I realize the devotional times, the singing and fellowship were more important than any "fun" thing we ever did.

This weekend in front of the youth of Jubilee, I had a flood of memories come back to me. I found myself speaking before each song, not so much to introduce the song (though I did), but more because I felt like I had something to connect with them about. I wanted to make a difference in the short 30 minutes I had. I didn't say anything too profound. As I recall something about not dragging along friends who are holding you back from belief in Christ because later in life it will lead to much larger burdens/heartaches. I also sang a FUMY favorite, "Casual Christian," which seemed particularly relevant to a young group.

It is so easy to be a Casual/Carnal Christian at that age. The distraction of the opposite sex, the massive amount of entertainment available, and just school in general can really make Christianity tough. I know I didn't really focus fully until my college years, and even then, the distractions were many.

This generation of youth is going to be raised in a largely anti-Christian environment. The world doesn't tolerate our exclusivity (ironic) as Christians, and if we don't have some youth that are grounded in their faith, they will be sucked into that same vaccuum of good feelings and subjective truths.

How do we reach a generation that has more distractions than any previous generation? That's the question I found myself wondering. Is it an age thing? Would someone my age (closer to theirs) be more approachable than someone in their 30s or 40s? Is it a message thing? Does the message have to break through the distractions and really cut deep? It's probably a combo of all of these things. I don't know that I could even begin to figure it out. I do know we need to train them in Biblical Christianity and not the "fluffy Christianity" that is permeating churches and the world these days. We must teach the essentials of the Christian faith unabashedly.

As I stood up in front of them, singing old praise and worship songs from my First United Methodist youth days, I realized that what I had found important then was not the most important thing. It was never supposed to be about the fun, but about preparing youth to lead the world in Christ.

I feel like my class of youth fell short at that calling. I'm not sure if we were too distracted by the fun, or maybe just the Methodist liberalism, but I can count on two hands the number of youth I remember who are truly living for Christ--apart from worldly Christian views-- today. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's perception and there are actually more.

I looked at the Jubilee youth and told them how blessed they were to be youth in a church that taught salvation, and being born-again without trying to dodge around the concepts. They have a step ahead of what I had anyway.

I don't know what distracts them now, or how many of them really long to make a difference. I worry that without proper guidance, and proper focus on Christ and the Bible, we will simply have another generation of failed expectations. We will lose more to the kingdom of the world, and gain fewer for the kingdom of God. I pray that won't be the case.




No comments:

Post a Comment