Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Contemporary Christian Rocker

I've started a habit lately of recording songs quickly on Thursdays (my day off alone). I say quickly because what usually happens is an idea forms, I record it with just basic instrument and vocals, and then I pass it off as  a finished product.

I justify this by pointing out that I am at my best musically in raw form (often in the open air on a street corner belting out cover tunes). I find the more instrumentation and recording trickery I add, the less I enjoy the final product.

Juliet (wife) has always been my toughest critic, and I am actually thankful for that because it gives me insight into my songs I might not otherwise honestly get. Many of you probably have humored me in the past by listening to a song or two. I'm not the best musician in the world, but I also don't think I sound terrible. It depends on the song.

My new dilemma is my desire to enter into a genre of Christian music with my originals. So far every Christian themed song I've written has come off with more critique than my secular (love) songs. Juliet points out that there is an existing "style" in Christian music, and my gravely voice and rocker style don't quite fit for all songs. I agree, with the stipulation that I think it could be a good thing to not completely fit in.

I used to hate listening to contemporary Christian music because it all sounded the same. Actually a lot of it still does, though there are artists like Josh Wilson and Matt Maher branching out from the pack.  Matt Maher has a nice gravely voice similar to mine so I like that.

So, this Thursday I got inspired for a very mellow, prayerful song. Its verses paint the picture of Christ praying in the Garden of Gethsemane that God's will be done. Acceptance of what was to come and the suffering he would endure. The chorus is a general look at people saying prayers for our own desires, but finishing it with "your will be done." The point is, it's mellow.

I did a simple piano line and overdubbed two vocal tracks. Simple and raw. The problem, according to Juliet (and I mention this as reference, not out of anger), is that my gravely rock vocal treatment of a softer piano song was not fitting. I can agree to an extent. My goal was more to express anguish and passion through a rougher singing style to show that Christ would not be yelling "Father, Father" in a choir voice, but rather a strained, pleading voice (something my style matches decently).

The point of this is to say that I think it's time for a revolution in Christian music. I think it's time the rockers got their say. And I'm not talking about the Pearl Jam/Creed-ish vocal stylings of Third Day and Mercy Me's lead singers. The alternative rock scene overused that style of vocals long ago, and it seems Christian mainstream is only now catching up to it.

Listen to "Guardian," a classic rock styled band with Christian influence. I think this is the direction we should head, and I'll be happy to help glorify God in a less-mainstream, more openly accessible way if anyone wants to listen.

That last statement sounded rather arrogant, and that's not my point in this. I just think a less cookie cut version of Christian vocalization is needed. Harmonizing is wonderful, but you don't need the lead singer to be head of the angel choir, there can be an edge that still glorifies God.

I'm sure there are examples I am leaving out of artists currently doing this. I know also that by investing a little more time in my finished product, or with assistance from other musicians and vocalists, I could vastly improve my original work.

For now, I don't have that set up, so I will settle for my raw recordings, one or two takes of my expression of music. It has been applauded in the past, and in all humility, I accepted that. I like my gravely voice. I don't mind singing a little more chorus- like for morning praise and worship at church, but there are still songs that need that edge, and without it, we end up sounding more forced than if someone just belted out with raw emotion to God.

I think God can handle all styles, as long as the goal brings glory to Him. So with that, God, I would like to glorify you through music if possible. If it's not my main calling, I accept that, but would still like permission to continue as a hobby. Even so, your will be done.

I will post the newest recording here, with the stipulation that it will likely have some changes before being a final version. I think this one is a good start, and welcome some constructive criticism. This blog is not in anger or frustration, but rather in exploring what I think is a unique, God-given style of singing with which I've been blessed. I may be wrong, I may be right...but it's a passion to pursue to God's glory whether right or wrong about how I actually sound that drives me forward.

Enjoy what is tentatively titled "Gethsemane (Your Will Be Done)"

View this Related Blog Post: http://chrisbyersblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/proverbs-27-humble-pie-or-story-of-how.html

No comments:

Post a Comment