Featured Post

On sale now! A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Christ

Hey friends! It’s finally here. You can order your copy of my first published book. A Dangerous Faith: Counting the Cost of a Life for Chris...

Monday, April 23, 2012

Lookin' for a Healin'

My last posts, for those who have read them, are a product of in depth (for me anyway) Bible study, combined with insight from various Pastors, prayed about for spiritual leading, and posted for someone out there who needs it. They have not been for me, or of me, but rather for whoever God is trying to reach out there.

 Allow me today, to play the part of skeptic, or at least confused individual, and possibly gain some insight from people who know more about this topic than I do.

 Today at church, for the second time in the past few months, a special guest Evangelist came. Now, in particular, I like his messages leading up to the end of the service when the healing is set to begin. I truly believe in supernatural healing. Where I am finding problems is how I feel when I see people getting "healed" in a church service one week, and back to normal the next. Perhaps the healing is meant to be a temporary relief of chronic back pain or something, but to see women in wheelchairs get up and walk around, only to walk right back to the wheel chair, makes me wonder if it isn't meant to be more of a temporary thing.

This evangelist has great stories of miraculous healings that I truly believe, but the two times he's come to church, the people claiming healing, seem to be the same the next week. There is no jubilance or celebration, that I can see, after the initial experience. Now, as a faithful man of God, I would not pretend to question the mind of God, and it is quite possible these individuals (maybe they can confirm), are truly being healed fully. It's a great aspect of Christian life, but one that I don't' feel is required on a salvation level, and has potential to either further the faith, or turn non-believers away when they see a woman walk, only to sit back down.

 This is going to sound uber skeptical coming from the guy who has been preaching in blogs the past few months, but I am really just seeking understanding. I know some of you out there have had miraculous healings, but can you confirm that it was permanent? When I prayed today for better vision healing, was my request too selfish? If the deaf are healed of deaf ears, couldn't a guy with glasses his whole life, get better vision?

 I say it not cynically, but inquisitively, and I don't mean to call anyone's experiences into question. I just don't understand how this man who has great evangelical stories of healings, comes to town, heals, and then two weeks later, everything is back to normal. I would think there would be a more lasting evidence of his time there. Maybe there is. I don't know everyone in the church, and only a couple of those claiming healing. Maybe I need to be asking them. I talked to another guy at church about it, sensing he felt the same way, and got the same kind of response. I don't think either of us understand it.

I believe in the supernatural power of God, but maybe I'm just not in the right place to be physically experiencing it, as manifested by tongues and healings. Everyone else in church seems to be. Maybe I want it too much. Maybe I long for that experience of being truly filled with the spirit in a moment of pure uninhibited supernatural power. I have experienced God in many ways, but manifestation of tongues or healing are not one of them. That's not to say it can't happen. If I have faith, and am supposed to have that, it will come when it comes. In the meantime, I just wish someone who gets healed in one of those services, could come forward and explain to me, how they know. I kind of get put off because the evangelist seemed to ignore those with lesser issues in favor of those with "Fully deaf" ears, or other ailments that were fully manifested. It's almost like he is picking and choosing.

One gentelmen got up to say he was filled with the spirit and the evangelist said "I didn't ask that, I asked who has been HEALED!" Maybe it's a healer thing. Maybe they are seeking those who can be healed the greatest to best show God's power. I would like to think my friends' feet/daibetes were actually healed, but I guess without asking I won't know. And what if the pain comes back later? Does that mean it wasn't at least temporarily relieved? Jesus healed fully and totally. Jesus' apostles healed fully and totally. Do we still have that capacity in our day? With such a wicked world, I wouldn't be surprised if God pulled that power from us for the time being...after all...even the believers like me, are having trouble believing in this.

 In honest inquisitiveness, seeking guidance from you Lord
-Chris

2 comments:

  1. Healings vs miracles. What are they? Are they one in the same? Healings can take many forms. Instantaneous. Gradually. Progressively. Miracles are just that. If a lady or girl gets up out of a wheelchair and walks with no assistance for the first time in her life, THAT IS A MIRACLE! If she gets out and walks with aid and she has NEVER done that before, what type of healing did she receive? A healing of the mind? The heart or her body. I have had three or four healings in my body that were supernatural. I had a severe eye infection that was healed as tears flowed out of my eyes. I had severe ankle pain which caused me to be unable to walk. One day I got up out of bed and the pain was gone. I had had it for about a week. It has never returned. I truly believe I was healed from diabetes in 2009. It returned in 2011 and I was put in the hospital. Why did it return? I truly believe a person can "lose" their healing. Unbelief can cause healing not to occur or manifest itself. Unforgiveness can hinder healing. Sin strongholds can undermine healing. Family members who do not believe as you do can jeopardize healing. Remember Jesus was unable to perform miracles in his hometown because they didn't believe who he said he was. To them he was Joseph's son, the carpenter. Do I believe I was healed Sunday? Yes!! Has my diabetes totally left? Yes it has but not all the biproducts of it. My sugar level has gone down considerably. My neuropathy has lessened. I have lost 4 pounds since Sunday. Now Shirley has not complained of foot pain since then. I know for a fact that Alyssa was annointed because she has gone from a scared, frightened and shaking like a leaf little girl on Saturday morning after her wreck, to a strong, calm and collected woman calling me to pray for a man she saw hit by a car on his motorcycle on her way to school, whom she spent five minutes on the side of the road performing CPR on. As for "How do you know you've been healed?" I can't answer that except to say, "you know what you know because you just know! You mentioned about speaking in other tongues. If you have never been able to do this, you may want to ask yourself if you were truly baptized in the Holy Spirit because speaking in other tongues is true evidence of this. Being "slain" in the spirit is also a manifestation of the power that has been directed to you. We can go more indept with this and have more discussion if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good insights thanks, a more in depth discussion would be great sometime. Thanks Hollis

      Delete